3 Benefits Your Company May Experience From Giving Away Promotional Products
According to the Advertising Specialty Institute (ASI), companies that sell promotional products sell over $18.5 billion of goods a year to all types of businesses. The businesses that buy these goods do this because it helps them generate sales, and that is the main reason this is such a huge industry. It’s hard to say how much money your business can make by giving away promotional products, but here are three benefits your company will most likely achieve from doing this.
The key mark of a promotional product is the name of the company that issued it. It doesn’t matter if the item is a pen, a sweatshirt, or a reusable grocery bag; it needs to have your company name on it.
You have the freedom to control which items you choose, and you can base this on many factors including price, but there are certain things to consider as you choose your items. Here are some of these:
- Pick useful items – giving away things people will never use is absolutely pointless. Instead, select items that are popular and that people can use regularly. Some ideas include water bottles, t-shirts, and ink pens.
- Keep up with trends – according to Rescue a CEO, some current trends for promotional products in 2014 include styluses for electronics, USB drives, and computer-cleaning cloths.
- Know your target market – if you are marketing to business professionals, give them promotional gifts of value. This could include customized golf balls to use on their outings, or sun visors to wear outside.
- Give away personalized gifts – another thing people like is receiving things with their own names on them. An example of this is personalized mailing labels with the person’s own name or company name.
The first purpose of giving away promotional products is to brand your company. If you give away items that people will use, they will see your company name every time they use these items. Increasing their awareness of your company is what branding is all about.
The second benefit of giving away promotional products involves the results you may experience. According to the New York Times, most people feel the need to give something in return after they receive something. This is called the rule of reciprocity. When you give away free things to people, they may feel more inclined to do something for you, and this often results in a sale for your company.
Receiving free things makes people feel good, and it usually results in positive attitudes towards the company that gave away the free things. Improving your company’s reputation can be hard to do, and each step you take towards this can help.
Marketing a company can cost thousands of dollars a month, and many companies look for less expensive ways to do this. Marketing your business through promotional products is a great idea and can offer money-savings benefits to you.
As you look into purchasing promotional products, you should come up with the ways you will distribute the products for the most effective results. If this is part of your advertising efforts, you will need to be able to produce results from this. Here are several ideas you could try to help you with this:
- Mail items – you could mail promotional products to current or potential clients, or you could purchase a mailing list to use for names and addresses.
- Plan special events – if your company is relatively new, through a grand opening or one-year anniversary party and invite the public or your target market.
- Attend shows – going to trade shows and conventions is a great way to get your company’s name out there. This is also a great time to give away free gifts to people that you see.
If you are new to this, you may want to start by purchasing small, inexpensive items. Once you start seeing the results, you may want to continue giving away promotional products, but you may decide to purchase ones that are more expensive.